Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sushi X

Last night my boyfriend took me to a new sushi place in Ridgewood, NJ called Sushi X (they don't have their own website but you can find other reviews on the web). We don't eat in Ridgewood often, but since we both love sushi - and we both love all-you-can-eat sushi - we decided to give it a go!

Yup, you heard me right: all-you-can-eat sushi. Chris and I usually go to Mr. Sushi in Wayne to stuff our faces until we're in a satisfied food coma, but since this place offered the same deal we couldn't resist. Actually, Sushi X offers the all-you-can-eat sushi at a price of $19.99 on weekdays, $21.99 on weekends, and half price for children (compared to Mr. Sushi which is $21.99 flat). Sushi X also offers all-you-can-eat on the regular menu, so you're not restricted to only sushi. My boyfriend and I are no doubt fatties-at-heart, so $19.99 all-you-can-eat everything seemed like a good enough deal for us!


Sushi X opened in July 2010 and his located in the heart of Ridgewood at 23 Chestnut Street, Ridgewood, NJ (right next to Blend). Since it was a Wednesday night, it wasn't crowded on the streets, so we got a parking spot right outside the restaurant, but other nights parking may be a bit tricky - just something to be aware of.

If you do the all-you-can-eat, they give you two pieces of paper with items to chose from. All of their rolls, special rolls, hand rolls, appetizers, and meals are listed and you just get to check off whatever you want. Everything is made to order, not buffet style. As with any all-you-can-eat restaurant, they have rules: no sharing, you must eat everything on your plate before ordering more, and anything you don't eat will be charged at full price.

Chris started off with a miso soup and I started with salad with ginger dressing. Unfortunately, we both weren't starving, else we would have ordered an appetizer from the menu section. Chris said the soup was average, a bit on the salty side. My salad was average as well, however, the dressing was a bit watery. I always do like the ginger dressing to be more creamy, but that's just me being picky.

We both ordered three rolls for dinner. Unfortunately, we can't remember what exactly was in each roll though. Chris order the pink lady which was wrapped in salmon and tuna, another roll we can't remember the name of that had mango, crab meat, and tempura flakes inside and was topped with crab meat and a mango sauce, and a classic spicy salmon roll. The only roll that really stuck out was the mango roll. It was "refreshing" in Chris's opinion and had a unique taste to it.


I order the Yankee roll, another roll I can't remember the name of for the life of me, and a classic shrimp tempura roll. To be quite honest, they were all just mediocre. Nothing really stood out to me quite like the Randy roll from Mr. Sushi. Mmmm Randy roll how I love you.


In all, I'd have to say I probably wouldn't go back to this place. Although the selection of food was definitely a bang-for-your-buck, the rolls were just average.

2 comments:

  1. All that Sushi looks great! One of my younger brothers loves sushi that you grab by the plate. He would be all over all you can eat Sushi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg i took your advice and went thee on Wed. LOVED the all you can eat!

    ReplyDelete